No products in the cart.
Apple Pie – Sugar Free
Every time I walk through Whole Foods I am blown away by the beautiful array of organic apples in all shapes and sizes. An apple pie is one of the most beautiful aromas in the world! This simple recipe highlights the clean flavors of the apples – Granny Smith for tartness and Golden Delicious for sweetness. This recipe is not low in carbohydrates by any means, but it is a wonderful no added sugar dessert that you can share with others. Many of our sugar free desserts use Nature Sweet, which is a sugar alcohol - when sugar alcohols are eaten in a regular sized portion, they can create stomach upset and gas. This pie was created using Splenda, so we can take it to a family Thanksgiving gathering or office party, or serve at home and everyone can eat as large a piece as they would like, and ENJOY it. This is not a diet pie – it is a FAMILY friendly pie that doesn’t have any added sugar or processed carbs.
- 8 large apples, I use 4 granny smith, 4 golden delicious
- 1 package Pillsbury All Ready Pie Crust - 2 crusts
- 1½ cups Splenda Granulated
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Peel, core, and slice apples into ½ inch wedges - toss in a large bowl with the Splenda, butter, cinnamon and cornstarch until the apples are evenly coated. Place the bottom pastry crust in pie plate according to package directions and arrange the apple wedges, piling them slightly higher in the center. Place second crust on top and crimp edges decoratively or make a lattice crust if desired.
- Bake for 60 minutes at 375 degrees then lower oven to 300 degrees and bake an additional 30 minutes. Cool for at least one hour before cutting.
Serving size: Serves 8