No products in the cart.
I was served a small salad like this one on my last business trip. It is moments like this when I realize I am a hopeless foodie – no one at the table cared that their cucumber formed a bowl for their salad – they just dug in and started eating, while I was obsessed with taking it apart so I could duplicate it.
Turns out it is quite simple! Even easier if you have a device called a mandolin, but I can also make one long thin ribbon with my vegetable peeler. Practice a bit – after all, it’s just a cucumber!
Salad in an Individual Cucumber Bowl
- One English or Hothouse Cucumber - the ones that are long and wrapped in plastic
- Baby greens
- Cubes of peeled ripe pear
- Blue Cheese or Goat Cheese
- Toasted walnuts - microwave 90 seconds in small dish to toast nicely
- Balsamic olive oil dressing - if making your own dressing intimidates you, use Newman's Own Lite Raspberry Walnut Vinaigrette, its delicious!
- Slice the cucumber in half lengthwise - carefully make thin strips the length of the entire cucumber. When you form it into the round it must overlap itself by at least an inch so it will stick together.
- Toss the baby greens with the dressing – fill your cucumber bowl, top with the nuts, fruit and bits of cheese and serve immediately.