No products in the cart.
This is one of my favorite foods – its fast, delicious, and easy to throw together in five minutes for a quick simmer. It is so simple that I used make this in a small cooker in our BE office at least once a week. The red lentils have no skins, so they actually fall apart, which is why this is a tender bowl of golden goodness.
Red Lentils with Coconut Milk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 medium roma tomatoes, diced
- 4 cups chicken broth (I use Swanson Natural Goodness broth)
- 1 pound dried red lentils
- One 13-ounce can light coconut milk (NOT the sweetened kind used for a Pina Colada)
- 1 teaspoon curry powder or Garam Masala spice blend - buy a fresh new container for best flavor
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- Saute the onion in the oil, in a large pot over medium high heat until golden.
- Add the tomato, broth, lentils, coconut milk, curry powder, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat to low.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, 20 to 25 minutes, until the lentils are soft.
- Add additional water or broth to adjust thickness of soup to your likeness.
- Season with additional salt and pepper to taste. Just before serving stir in the cilantro.