No products in the cart.
Black Eyed Peas – don’t mess with a Southern Classic
Serve on New Years Day with cornbread and slices of onion. I like mine in a bowl. They bring luck and prosperity in the year to come, according to Southern tradition.
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- Smoked turkey leg or neck - lean with great flavor, if not available or for a meat free version, use ½ teaspoon Liquid Smoke
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- one pound dried black eyed peas
- one 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 32 ounces Swanson Natural chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Tony Chatcheres Creole Seasoning - optional but incredible, try it and you'll love it on everything (in supermarkets in spice section
- Sea salt and black pepper - use more if you are not using Creole Seasoning
- Saute the onion, garlic and smoked turkey in olive oil in a large pot until golden. Add the black eyed peas and saute for an addition minute; then add the tomatoes, broth and Tony Chatcheres Seasoning. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cover. Cook until softened, 60 to 90 minutes, keeping an eye on levels of liquid. Season with salt and pepper. If desired, removed scraps of meat from the smoked turkey, dice and return to pot.