No products in the cart.
Susan Maria's Cancun Chili
- 1½ pounds very lean ground beef or beef pork 'meatloaf mix' combo
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 green or red pepper diced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 jalapenos, stems and seeds removed, minced
- 3 to 5 tablespoons chili powder - buy a new bottle instead of the old dusty stuff in your cabinet
- 2 tablespoons ancho chili powder (McCormick sells bottled ancho and its worth it to get some)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 chipotle peppers from a can, finely chopped with some of the sauce
- One 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes - I use San Marzano or Cento or Progresso
- One can of beer - any brand
- Two, 15 ounce cans beans, well drained - use combo of pinto, small red, or black beans
- Sea salt
- Cilantro, scallions, sour cream or Greek yogurt - additions for garnish
- Brown the meat in a large pot over high heat in a splash of olive oil. Spoon off extra fat, if any has accumulated. Add the onion, pepper, garlic and jalapenos and cook until softened. Add the chili powders, cumin, oregano, cinnamon, and cocoa and stir in while mixture cooks for an additional two minutes. Stir in the chipotles, tomatoes, beer and beans.
- Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 40 to 50 minutes, until thick and flavors blend. Make sure it has enough salt.