Asparagus Parmesan Omelet
My grandmothers kitchen was always perfumed by Olive Oil and Garlic. She cooked what she picked from her city garden. Nothing was packaged or processed, no takeout or fast food, and her entire family of fourteen lived well into their nineties. Fresh Asparagus, sauteed in olive oil and garlic, with fresh eggs scrambled with grated Parmesan cheese from the Italian store. Just as delicious for a fast supper tonight as it was fifty years ago.
- 4 medium asparagus spears
- 1 garlic clove - peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 large eggs
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Freshly grate a pile of real Parmesan cheese. You can buy a small piece of the domestic Parmesan rather than the imported, or even Locatelli brand if you are being budget wise but the flavor is beyond belief when you use these brands of Italian hard cheese and grate them yourself.
- Peel lower half of asparagus spears with a vegetable peeler, then cut into thin diagonal slices. Saute asparagus slices and garlic in the olive oil, in a small non stick skillet, over medium heat, 2 to 3 minutes, until tender.
- Beat eggs with 1 tablespoon water, add Parmesan cheese, pour into hot pan. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Pull cooked egg to center, allowing liquid egg to fill in. Cook to desired doneness and roll onto plate.
Serving size: Serves 1 or 2