No products in the cart.
Lemon Meringue Pie sugar free
I love lemon, this is one of my favorite pies and it translates beautifully into a sugar free version. I do not think people make this pie anymore! (Do people even make homemade pies anymore?) It does not have many ingredients but you do have to make three separate components, bake a crust, make a lemon filling and then whip egg whites into a meringue so it can be assembled while hot and finished in the oven until golden. It is a good idea to read the recipe through so you get the idea of the assembly. To bake a crust without filling, lay a piece of foil over the raw pastry lined pan then empty a bag of dried beans onto the foil and spread them out. The weight of the beans allows the crust to bake without it sliding down or puffing up. Bake in 375 degree oven until golden. Remove the foil with the beans and put into a ziplock baggie and pop into freezer for next time.
- 4 egg yolks
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1¾ cup cold water
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ cup Truvia Baking blend
- 1 cup Splenda plus 3 tablespoons
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- ¾ cup lemon juice - you will need 3 fresh lemons. Grate the zest before squeezing the juice.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (9-inch) pre-baked pie shell
- 6 egg whites
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Adjust the oven rack to the middle position. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Whisk egg yolks and salt in medium size mixing bowl and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan blend water, cornstarch, ½ cup Truvia, Splenda, lemon zest and lemon juice. Bring mixture to a boil over medium high heat, stirring constantly with rubber scraper. It will begin to get clear in places and suddenly get very thick. Remove the pot from the heat and stir until smooth and glossy. While whisking the egg yolks constantly, begin slowly pouring the hot lemon mixture into the bowl, stopping at about half.
- You are doing this to gently heat the egg yolks before adding them to the hot mixture in the pan. If you skipped this step and poured the egg yolks into the hot pan, they would instantly scramble!
- Return the warmed egg yolk mixture to saucepan, reduce heat to low and cook, stirring constantly, until very thick, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in the butter until melted. Pour the hot lemon filling into pie shell and set aside.
- In a large bowl, using electric hand mixer, whip the egg whites and cream of tartar until smooth soft peaks form. Add the remaining 3 tablespoons Splenda sweetener and vanilla. Resume beating the meringue until thick and glossy.
- Top the warm pie with the meringue by placing large dollops around edges of pie first to seal to the crust, then fill in center and smooth the whole pie, leaving it slightly higher in center. Make decorative soft peaks with the back of a spoon.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes, until meringue is golden. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack. Chill for at least 2 hours before slicing.