No products in the cart.
Juicy Moist Oven Fried Chicken
This recipe works because the chicken is cooked at high temperature on a rack, so the heat circulates around all sides. Also the paprika spice blend makes the chicken look more browned than it really is with minimal coating. This is a 'set it and forget it' type of meal that I can get into the oven quickly. I make this with thighs and drumsticks as even though I had my surgery in 2001, dark meat is still the least problematic. It is also super juicy using boneless skinless thighs or breasts. Cooking times are based on thickness of the pieces of chicken, so I use an instant read thermometer and cook dark to 170 and white to 155.
- ¾ cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
- 8 pieces skinless chicken, best value is 4 whole chicken legs, skin removed, trimmed and cut into thighs and drumsticks
- ½ cup flour
- ¼ cup sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons paprika, smoked or sweet
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Olive oil cooking spray
- Whisk together the yogurt, mustard, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, hot sauce, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper and ¼ cup water in a shallow bowl. Add the chicken and turn to coat. Marinate 10 minutes to 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil. Set a wire rack on the baking sheet and coat it with the cooking spray.
- If you have a food processor, pulse the flour, sesame seeds, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, paprika, thyme, baking powder, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper to blend it into a seasoned coating. Place the mixture in a large sealable plastic bag. (if not using a food processor, you can also blend and coat right in a large bowl)
- Shaking off excess marinade, place one or two pieces of chicken at a time in the bag and shake to coat. Arrange the lightly coated chicken on the prepared rack. Spray the chicken pieces with the olive oil cooking spray.
- Bake the chicken 40 to 45 minutes until golden brown and no longer pink in the center.