Pistachio Cake, sugar free with amazing flavor
I was asked by one of our BE Support Group members if her favorite Pistachio Cake recipe could be made sugar free for her birthday. The recipe had everything that makes a recipe a good candidate for a sugar free makeover. It already was low in sugar and flour and the eggs provided the sponge cake framework for lift. What a wonderful and simple single layer cake. If you are a pistachio lover this is a moist cake with lots of true pistachio flavor!
- ¾ cup shelled pistachios, I shelled my own and rubbed them in a tea towel to remove the papery coating
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup Truvia sugar replacer
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- ½ teaspoon pure almond extract
- Spray a round cake pan with vegetable cooking spray, fit pan bottom with a round of parchment or waxed paper, grease with softened butter or additional cooking spray and set aside. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a food processor, pulse the pistachios with ¼ cup of flour until ground into an even meal that resembles slightly damp sand. Transfer to a small bowl. Stir in the cardamom, remaining ¾ cup flour and baking powder then set aside.
- In the unwashed food processor, pulse and then blend the butter, Truvia and almond extract for 2 to 4 minutes, until smooth and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating each until completely incorporated.
- Add the pistachio flour mixture to the butter egg mixture in the food processor. Pulse a few times, scrape down the bowl and pulse until just combined.
- Spread batter into the prepared cake pan and bake 25 to 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes, run a knife around the sides to loosen from the pan and invert onto a serving plate. Remove paper once completely cooled.
- Serve with whipped cream and a few fresh raspberries.