5 from 1 reviews
Broccoli & Swiss Frittata, perfect Bariatric Eating!
Prep time
Cook time
Total time
This dish should be the mainstay of a bariatric diet, a 'go to' dish to whip up on any weeknight, or a Saturday after a hectic day at the supermarket, any time we would normally reach for takeout or fast food. I make this dish for morning, noon and evening... I also love it with baby spinach subbed for broccoli. Heats beautifully in the microwave. Go easy on the cheese, you don't want to turn healthy into a fat bomb. Once you master the frittata, it's a twelve minute meal!
  • 1 medium onion, cut in half, thinly sliced
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 small broccoli crown, separated (or use leftover from supper)
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 6 eggs, lightly beaten
  • Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • ¼ teaspoon freshly grated whole nutmeg
  • ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan
  • 4 ounces shredded Swiss cheese - about one cup shredded
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Beat the eggs with ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper, a few grates of fresh nutmeg, Parmesan and Swiss cheeses. Set aside.
  3. In a 10 inch medium nonstick skillet, over medium high heat, sauté the onion, garlic and broccoli in olive oil 4 to 6 minutes until broccoli is fork tender and onion begins to brown at edges. Season with salt and pepper.
  4. Pour the egg and cheese mixture into the hot skillet with the cooked onions and broccoli, lightly stir and arrange with fork; cook for 2 to 3 minutes until edges begin to bubble. Place into hot oven and cook for 6 to 8 minutes, until center is set. Loosen at edges and transfer to a large serving plate to cut into wedges. Serve room temp or cold.

12 thoughts on “Broccoli Swiss Frittata, perfect Bariatric Eating!

1. La'Vern Wright says:

I had the sleeve on 12/22/14 just a little over a month of being out. Looking for ideas,suggestions anything that has to do with my surgery and things to help…..

LA’Verne, welcome to the right place! There are many ideas and tips that will help you create the right path to a new life and plenty of documented mistakes we’ve made for you to avoid the holes in that path as well! Ciao, Susan Maria

2. Tammy says:

How many servings is that dish I never know how much to eat I had rouyen y in 2001 and am gaining weight back I am eating to much I think

Servings are relative to how much you can eat before you feel ‘satisfied’. This is a relatively soft food, so this normally would serve 4, but if you are full before you finish your portion, stop.

Wow, forty years ago, that is amazing! Are you healthy, are you slim, do you feel strong, have you had any issues? Who did your surgery? What can you share with ten year post ops? I would love to talk with you! – Susan Maria

3. Annette Aldridge says:

i am 6 months post-op RNY on the 5th of February. I have lost a total of 103 lbs from surgery day wt. I have 70 more pounds to reach my goal. This was the best decision I have ever made for “me”.  I am in need of more recipes to give me variety in my meals.

4. Patricia Merklinger says:

I have not had the surgery yet.  I had to do a 6 month weight loss program at the bariatric center.  I am doing very well with this program so I am not sure I want the surgery.  But I am very interested in your site for recipes and encouragement.  Thank you for doing this!!!

5. Cookie says:

I had surgery four years ago, a year and 9 months after I had it I had to have it again, I had the lap-band, I lost better with the second  one and now I’ve gain some back not all just 20 lbs, and trying to lose again how can I do this I’m still  limited to what I can eat, which is not much, and when I try to eat solid food lately I get a little sick, I exercise ,active I don’t know what is wrong, but every time I go to my Dr. he tells me I’m making him look bad, just because I gain 20 lbs, I was at 189 lbs before I had the surgery.

Cookie, it is sad that the surgeon would shame you by saying you are making him look bad. Rather than the blame game, I would strongly suggest you use our Bariatric Food Journal to find out what exactly you are eating and then you can evaluate and make changes. If you are exercising you have to be taking in more calories than you are burning, so lets see where you stand. In the meantime join our Online Support Group as there are people there who understand your frustration and can help you figure out a plan. You still have a restrictive tool to use and you can lose weight! – SML