No products in the cart.
This recipe comes together quickly and is simply delicious! All the flavors of lasagna in a bowl.
YES, it does taste like lasagna! We have had this recipe on the website for many years and it is one of the most popular. Not a lot of ingredients but the flavors scream Italian. Yum. Warm. Fennel. Cheese. Tomato.
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ½ teaspoon whole fennel seed
- ½ pound lean Italian sausage, casings removed - or Jimmy Dean Italian sausage
- One 32-ounce container Swanson Natural Goodness chicken broth
- One 28-ounce can Progresso, Hunts, or Cento Crushed Tomatoes
- ½ cup coarsely chopped fresh basil - dont skimp on the fresh basil as it will infuse deliciousness into the soup
- 2 tablespoons Splenda or 1 tablespoon Truvia
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup part skim Calabro or Polly-O ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan
- Sauté the garlic in the olive oil over medium high heat in a large pot 2 to 4 minutes until softened - add the crushed red pepper and fennel seed and cook for 30 seconds stirring constantly. Add the sausage and cook, mashing with a fork, until sausage is well browned and broken up into small fine pieces, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Stir in the broth, tomatoes and basil. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the sweetener. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, blend the ricotta with 2 tablespoons parmesan and a few grinds of black pepper. Ladle the soup into a shallow bowl, add a dollop of the ricotta mixture in the center, and sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan.