No products in the cart.
All the flavors of lasagna in a bowl! A very delicious soup that we have had on the website for years - inspired by an old Paula Deen recipe that does not use butter. We get a lot of compliments on this one and you will too.
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ½ teaspoon whole fennel seed
- ½ pound lean Italian sausage, casings removed - or Jimmy Dean Italian sausage
- One 32-ounce container Swanson Natural Goodness chicken broth
- One 28-ounce can Hunts Petite Cut, Crushed or Progresso Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup coarsely chopped fresh basil - dont skimp on the fresh basil as it will infuse deliciousness into the soup
- 1 cup part skim Calabro or Polly-O ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 cup cooked mini Farfalle or bow tie pasta - optional
- Sauté the garlic in the olive oil over medium high heat in a large pot 2 to 4 minutes until fragrant - add the crushed red pepper and fennel seed and toast for 30 seconds stirring constantly. Add the sausage and cook, breaking up with fork, 5 to 7 additional minutes until browned and in small even pieces.
- Stir in the broth, tomatoes, salt, pepper and basil. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Just before serving, add the cooked bow tie pasta to the soup. Blend the ricotta, 2 tablespoons parmesan, and parsley in a small bowl. Ladle the soup into a shallow bowl, add a dollop of the ricotta mixture in the center, and sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan.