No products in the cart.
This recipe comes together quickly and tastes great! All the flavors of lasagna in a bowl.
We have had this recipe on the website for years and I do believe its probably the ten most popular. Not a lot of ingredients but the flavors scream Italian. Yum. Warm. Fennel.
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ½ teaspoon whole fennel seed
- ½ pound lean Italian sausage, casings removed - or Jimmy Dean Italian sausage
- One 32-ounce container Swanson Natural Goodness chicken broth
- One 28-ounce can Progresso, Hunts, or Cento Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Splenda or 1 tablespoon Truvia
- ½ cup coarsely chopped fresh basil - dont skimp on the fresh basil as it will infuse deliciousness into the soup
- 1 cup part skim Calabro or Polly-O ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan
- Sauté the garlic in the olive oil over medium high heat in a large pot 2 to 4 minutes until fragrant - add the crushed red pepper and fennel seed and toast for 30 seconds stirring constantly. Add the sausage and cook, breaking up with fork, 5 to 7 additional minutes until browned and in small even pieces.
- Stir in the broth, tomatoes, salt, pepper and basil. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the sweetener.
- In a small bowl, blend the ricotta with 2 tablespoons parmesan. Ladle the soup into a shallow bowl, add a dollop of the ricotta mixture in the center, and sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan.