In 2004, Kelly Brunig made a spectacular plunge from nearly 400 pounds to 194. But… as it happens, life then got a little out of control and after a slow 8 year climb back up to 286 pounds, she came to a point where she said enough. Kelly got out her rusted neglected ‘tool’ to see if it still would work. She was thankful it did, gave it good polishing and made a Big Comeback from her Regain. She shares her story, what she did, and how you can do it too!

Back on Track to lose 116 pounds Kelly Bruning

author, Kelly Brunig

Gastric Bypass 2004
Highest Weight       390 pounds
Original Lowest      194 pounds
Regain High           286 pounds
After Regain Loss   164 pounds

Earlier last year, I opened my toolbox and saw that a very useful tool I had gotten ten years ago was covered in rust. I hadn’t used it for several years and it was so corroded I didn’t believe it could ever be a useful tool again. But I had a project that I really needed to get done and that tool was paramount to its success. I had tried this project many other times before in my life with other tools and could not get it done!

So I decided to clean the tool up, little by little, and I hoped and prayed, and it slowly began to work again as it was intended. To my surprise, once I removed the rust and oiled it back up again, it actually worked BEAUTIFULLY.

Kellysrustedtool

The tool I speak of? My Bariatric Pouch! Given to me ten years ago when I weighed 390 pounds, it was to be cared for, respected and used for a LIFETIME. In 2004, my tool was shiny and new. It worked all by itself for the first year. But then I started to ignore and neglect it and the rust started to form.

What caused the rust? A few crackers here, a cookie there, a biscuit, the diet pop that had crept back in. Pretty soon, I was drinking that pop along with my meals. I was living life and was not taking time to add exercise into my life, either.

After years of neglect had passed, I found myself having to buy size 3x clothes again because I was back up to 286 pounds, an almost 100 pound regain from my flash in the pan low of 194 pounds. I had also taken to abusing alcohol. I was drinking heavily because I felt so hopeless and lost.

One day I woke up and knew I had to stop drinking and worked to disrupt the patterns I had created with alcohol. Once I cleaned myself up from the alcohol abuse, I realized I needed my tool. I only hoped it was not too late and I could get it back. The Project I had to work on? It was ME!

I looked up the website I used to visit, BariatricEating.com for inspiration and amazing products then I slowly started cleaning off the rust by going back to what I KNEW I WAS SUPPOSED TO BE DOING ALL ALONG.

I stopped drinking with my meals or for 30 minutes after.
I eliminated the white processed or starchy carbs and sweets that had once again become a prominent fixture in my life.
I swore off drinking soda again.
I made Protein First a priority.
And the one bit of rust that seemed the hardest to remove? My complete LACK of exercise. I had never made it a habit on any level.

Over the last 2 years, I have cleaned up my pouch tool and lost a 96 pound regain PLUS AN EXTRA 30 pounds that I had never lost initially! I didn’t think it was possible, but I proved MYSELF wrong. I love the life that this tool has allowed me to create so much that I keep it clean and well-oiled, I maintain it on a regular basis now. I am amazed by how well it works given the amount of abuse it has taken. It has helped me to create the very best version of me.

If YOUR tool has started to get a little rusty, or if is fully covered in rust, you have the ability to CLEAN it off at any time and get it working once again! We now have easy to follow plans that will help you do it.

The 48 Hour Pouch Reset, BOT – Back on Track, and BE Easy plans are all designed to help you rediscover the SUCCESS of losing weight again. Used in the order listed, they will help you get you to your GOAL. Regains normally mean we have failed the surgery, not that the surgery has failed us… clean up your tool and get your Pouch Confidence back with the 48 Hour Pouch Reset then move into the Back on Track plan. Once you have handled a chunk of regain, you can move into the BE Easy Plan for life.

You can find them, along with a wealth of resources, on this website. Just click on HOME on the top navigation bar and start reading. You will recognize yourself in the words… these articles are about you, they are about all of us. Rarely is our tool BROKEN. It is the bad habits and bad choices creeping back into our lives that cause the layer of rust and grime to form. We can help you to clean those tools up, and KEEP them clean on a daily basis, so that you can be your very BEST version of YOU. I repeat that it is not easy to begin moving forward when you have been at a standstill or even moving backwards and we are here to HELP YOU TO DO IT. You are not alone.

Before&After-BOT-RND2-ad_2

Shop Inspire

25 thoughts on “Regain Success, 116 Pounds Gone! Bravo Kelly Brunig

• Kelly says:

I eat high protein, low carb.Lean meat, eggs, low/no added sugar greek yogurt, and a little cheese and nuts. No processed carbs or added sugars. I use unsweetened almond milk for shakes.

1. Sue says:

Thank you BE and Kelly for sharing this story! I too am over 10 years and have regained and am in the process of losing that regain with the help of my Pouch and BE products. I was down for a while about the regain but reading Kelly’s story makes me feel not alone. Thanks!!

• Denise says:

Let me know how it is going for you Sue! I’m 11 years out too and have a 96 lb regain. I’m trying to find my will to start again and STICK to it this time. Good luck to you!

2. Cindy says:

I feel like there is no hope for me! I had gastric bypass in December of 2002. I lost 140 pounds, but have gained all but 10 pounds back. Over my life I have lost 100+ pounds 3 times, only to gain it back. I just can’t stick with anything. I am not feeling great again mostly because of weight gain. I know I have to do something, but just feel like I will fail again!

3. Melanie says:

Today I got on the scale and I’m 272. I had the RNY in 2001. I lost 125lb., and have regained 67 lb. (50 of which have been the past year alone). I’m desperate! Sugar has a hold on me something terrible. I gotta get under control or I’ll be 330 again!

4. Dianne says:

Sugar crept back in to my life..I vowed “No Bake Christmas!” that was 2013..So, I cruised Trader Joes thinking the grandkids needed alittle sweet during the holidays….This big kid said, “ok try a small cookie.”
    Well, you know the rest of the story…one whole year no weight loss.
    Yes, I gained 6 lbs. Doesn’t sound like much…it is, still at 198 on a short 5′ 3″ frame.
    Thank you for inspiring me. Great job.

5. cindy says:

Hi, I am 13 years out,due to regaining a bunch of weight and feeling lousey,i also was looking for help,this is an amazing site,there is hope after all.Ladies we need to clean off our tool and get moving,we did it before and our tool is still there,so I think I am going to start with protein drinks.Thank you so much for all your help.

6. Audrey says:

I’m going to start this journey again on Monday. Not because I want to get through Thanksgiving, but because I will be at work and it will be easier to control my food intake at work than it would be at home over the weekend. I am going to get it right this time. I just hope my pouch is still intake. FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTIONS FOR ME THIS TIME!!!

7. Lilly says:

What a great article! I am on BOT week 7 and 19 pounds gone from my55 pound regain. Im so blessed by this site and the Inspire shakes that helped me regain control, step away from the eating addiction and start thinking through things instead of eating foods that don’t do anything but keep me miserable and unhealthy. This year is going out with an ‘I Love myself’ heart!

8. ktredway13 says:

Thank you Kelly you have inspired me not to give up I’m 2 1/2 years out and I lost 70 lbs and gained 7 back but I need to lose 30 lbs to get to my goal so it’s time to clean my rusted and get to that goal thank you and congratulations you look beautiful

9. Gail says:

I had a Gastrial Bypass 7 yrs ago and put on 60 and just heard about the reboot hope i can get it all off and keep it off.It was creeping up over the last 3 years i divoriced ,and lost my mom and have a sister who is ill and its terminal so for me it is stress and loss.I lost my way and want to find it again.

10. Sandra says:

Thank you for sharing your story. You are amazing. I had surgery a year ago and have gotten lazy. No excuses. As a result I haven’t lost any weight in several months. I just happened to read your story at 10 AM (before breakfast) and it was a real wake up call. I immediately made a protein shake to start my day. Your desire, dedication and determination has inspired me to recommit and continue on my own weight loss journey.

11. Denise says:

I had RNY in 2004 and went from near 400 to 202…now..I weighed in today at 301. I have tried to follow this plan in past weeks, but when I had knee surgery a few weeks ago..I was down and not exercising..haven’t cared what I ate. Now…I feel that I’m ready to fight again. Here we go kicking (metaphorically of course because of a recovering knee! Ha ha) into 2016!

12. Linda says:

WOW…your story really hit home with me!

My WLS was in Feb. 2006; lost 107 lbs. But because I have so much belly apron I feel that I really didn’t succeed with my WLS & I didn’t reach my goal. So I’m still stuck with this ugly, heavy apron fat & a 34 lb. regain! Plastic Surgery is the only way to get rid of my mine & my insurance company won’t pay for it!

But you made me rethink why I had WLS to begin with & I’m sure I can now recommit & continue my journey! After all 107 lbs lose is a big deal…even with this apron!

Thank for sharing!

13. Vera Bosarge says:

If you don’t mind sharing how did you start your weight lose again? Did you do pouch reset? All liquids? I am confused on how to start. I started today with liquids and wonder if I need to continue or so the BeEasy plan. Thanks so much.

14. [email protected] says:

I am so motivated after reading all the success stories. I had the RNY in 2007, lost 110 lbs and have regained 50 lbs. I lost my Mom in 2012 and my Dad in 2015. I have recently retired and I need to lose the regain, starting in the morning with the pouch reset! Thanks so much for sharing.

15. Teresa S says:

I had my surgery in 2002, lost 95 pounds, then over the years, slowly regained 60 pounds. After reading about the BOT 48 hour pouch reset, I have lost 67 pounds since August 2015! I now weigh less then the original pounds lost! I haven’t been this small since before the birth of my son. I goal to lose an additional 40-50 pounds. Very thankful for this website!

16. Lisa Medina says:

I had RNY at the end of 2008. At my 7-year anniversary, I realized this I spent too much time eating empty carbs and drinking alcohol. I have regained 50 of my 110-pound loss. Finally, a month ago, I had my ‘Aha!’ moment. I’m going to be the mother of the bride soon! I started the BOT plan and haven’t looked back. Absolutely no cheating, not even licking my fingers when I cook for my family. I’ve lost 20 pounds! At my age (55), regular exercise is more important. Every tool helps! I’m staying on the BOT as long as I can–the wedding is in 7 weeks!

17. Esperanza Gonzalez says:

I had lap band Feb. 2 2009. I started at 223 and my goal was 136, on May 1 2016 I weighed 148 and decided I could not keep on the way I was going so I did the reset then started BOT, I now weigh 136, which was my original goal, I am going for 125 and am so happy I found this group because it offers me the support I have needed all along. I do get discouraged when I am doing the right things and the scale does not budge or goes up, but with the help of this group I have been able to continue to do what I am suppose to do, so I am well on the way to my new goal and feeling confident because I now know I am not alone in this journey. Thanks again to all the members of this fantastic group for being here for me!