BeforeAfter-Alison-pic

Alison Garcia – Lapband 2009

I was banded December 31, 2009. I lost 135 pounds in 18 months and kept it off of a little over 2 years. Life was good!

Then I started getting careless: Eating larger portions, dabbling in bread, rice, alcohol, and soda. I was drinking while eating and allowing more and more junk and fast food back into my life. I stopped going to the gym. I felt bulletproof: I had lost the weight, I would never gain it back, right? WRONG.

By December 2013 I was once again shopping in the Plus Sizes and comforting myself by saying it was okay because at least I wasn’t 289 pounds again. I stepped on the scale one January 2015 morning and was horrified to discover that I weighed 223 pounds. I nearly passed out.

I figured my surgery had failed, lots of bands failed. Oh well, maybe I should think about a revision. I struggled along through 2014 and the first half of 2015 half-heartedly trying to lose the weight. I would go for fills with a renewed determination to succeed, but within a few days I would return to my ways of eating and lose all hope. Again.

One night in 2015, I was scrolling through Facebook and a wonder appeared on my screen: a Piece of Toast in the shape of a Skull – ‘Bariatric NO’s, Not What You Want To Hear’. I was immediately drawn in by it. I read the article and then re read it again. Tears filled my eyes as I realized that the article was right: I was wasting the opportunity that I was given. I found myself in every paragraph… all the no’s were things I did.

I read about their plan and even joined their Bariatric Eating Support Group on Facebook.  I was immediately in it to win it. I saw my doctor for a long overdue adjustment and had a talk with myself in the office parking lot. I resolved to REALLY do it this time – no more junk, no more soda, no more bread. No more messing around – I WOULD be successful. I ordered the Inspire protein drinks that were at the core of the plan. This was it for me. I did it once and I would do it again but this time I was not alone! I was getting on the train, I had my ticket.

BeforeAfter-Alison-pic23

Every day from June 2nd onward, I checked into the daily accountability thread in the Bariatric Eating Support Group on Facebook  like it was my job. I liked the idea of testing my ‘pouch resistance’ so I completed the 48 Hour Pouch Reset and cheered when I could only eat a few ounces of chicken. I breathed a sigh of relief that my banded pouch was intact! No more excuses.

I started the Back on Track plan the next morning. Having to only choose one meal a day empowered me to make it the VERY BEST choice it could be. I invested in a fitness tracker, a George Foreman grill, and I started cooking! The BariatricEating website recipes changed my mindset on the definition of a healthy meal. After losing 23 pounds in my first month, I transitioned to the BE Easy Plan, which I still follow to this day.

As summer and fall came and gone, I was really excited by my progress. I screamed in excitement as my scale showed 199.6 on July 8, 2015.

I cried when I bought my first pair of size 10 jeans.

Size 8 came shortly after: Even at my previous lowest weight, I had NEVER been in single digit sizes

Size 6 had me breathless

Size 4 had me sobbing in a dressing room

Size 2 was unthinkable

Size 0 ABSOLUTLY BLEW MY EVER LOVING MIND

On Thanksgiving morning, which was also my birthday, I stepped on the scale, and watched the numbers flash and stop at 149. I cried as I realized that I got the best birthday present ever: I took back my health, AGAIN. I then went on to lose another 15 pounds in the next 30 days. I celebrated my six year ‘bandiversary’ by dancing the night away in my size 2 Little Black Dress at a New Years Eve party. I don’t believe my feet even touched the floor.

image

As I write this, I still cant believe I am wearing tiny little pants I gave up on being able to wear, but more important is that I feel amazing. I have my health and happiness. I know that sweet little toast skull pulled me out of my personal depths, and helped me realize that I WAS strong, and that I COULD be successful. As long as I have a banded pouch I can control my weight – so can you. We can help you.

If you are struggling with regain, if you feel hopeless to resolve it on your own. If you never made it to goal weight… you must try the BE plans. I will link them in the comments. Life can be even sweeter for you too. THE SECOND TIME IS EVEN BETTER!

The 48 Pouch Reset, Back on Track and BE Easy are super effective plans. They can change your life for the better, I know they have changed mine.

Talk to me, ask me anything you would like to know! I pay it forward as an Admin with the BariatricEating Support Group on Facebook. Our entire team is there to help you realize YOUR dreams. See you there… click for the plans.

Regain? Slow Loser? Join Back on Track!

JOIN BARIATRIC EATING SUPPORT GROUP ON FACEBOOK Click Here

CLICK HERE TO GET BACK ON TRACK JOIN NO MORE BARIATRIC REGAIN SUPPORT GROUP ON FACEBOOK

18 thoughts on “I LOST MY LAP BAND REGAIN! – Alison Garcia

1. Diane says:

I’m 62 years old I never got to my goal. I got stuck and didn’t get unstuck. My weight is creeping back. I know I need help

2. Nikki Swearingen says:

OMG this article has me in tears!! I am also a LapBand patient and this is the first article I’ve read that isn’t a Sleeve or RNY patient. I thought I was alone in my LapBand journey and I was the only one who is still struggling. This article describes me to the “T” right now. I was banded 2/15/2012, started at 215 had lost 40lbs in an year then another 20 after that. I was doing everything right and to the book, then like Alison vereed off and slowly gained about 35lbs over a year and half, then we got pregnant I had a beautiful baby girl and now I’m at 208. I even got a very small fill .2cc and I’m still struggling. My 4 year “bandiversary” is next month and I have nothing to celebrate again. I keep re reading her story and everytime I tear up. It took me all morning just to write this post. My husband is so supportive that he is willing to change his habits to help me succeed all over again. I printed out this article and the “not what you want to hear, bariatric nos” so I can remind myslef everyday. I want to do whatever it takes to be successful again just like Alison. 🙂

3. Joy says:

I had RNY in 2003. I had managed to keep the weight off until a the last 16 months. In that time I retired . Then my husband passed away. I have gained about 20 lbs s little under that but I had lost 126 lbs at the beginning after surgery within 6-7 months. I have been working out for about 5 months walking 5 1/2 miles 3-4 times a week and about 40 mins of weight machines but can’t lose the weight then someone told me about your website so I am waiting for the shakes to start my 48 hr restart. I hope it works for me.

4. jo says:

OMG! Alison…Thank you soooo much for sharing! I cried sad tears for your struggles and then happy tears for your wonderful success, again!! I am a RNY (2008) and didn’t realize how I’ve been failing myself…gained back 40 plus pounds…I need to seriously evaluate myself! Again, thank you for sharing….I loved the “size & reaction” part….and screamed when I reached the “size 0”!!! Truly… so happy for you! Hugs….another girl in the struggle =)!

• Alison Garcia says:

Hi Jo, I am so glad the article spoke to you. We are here to help. Join our support group, start the Back On Track(BOT) plan, and you might be amazed at what you can accomplish. We’ll see you there, the links to the group and the plan are in the article. Take care!!

5. Gidget says:

So inspiring I read this every day I’m 10 yrs out Rny I never made it to goal. Actually at my smallest which I was 180 something I felt I needed to gain 10 back so I reintroduced myself to carbs and alcohol before I knew it I was up over the 200 mark. Then I got on scales 249. I was sick, I started bot 10x before it clicked and I stayed bot longer than a day or 2. Today is my 21st day I’m down 18 pounds so glad i found this group and inspire protien. My first goal was to get in control. Today I was 231.7 I can’t wait until onerland . I’m so glad I didn’t ruin my pouch like I thought

6. Ddumas says:

Hi Alison!
    Your story is inspiring. I am 10 yrs out from my RNY in 2005. I have regained 50 lbs and am desperate for support. Life happened and I slipped back into really bad habits. Today I feel I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Doing my pouch reset tomorrow and the back on track. Wish me luck and determination.

• Alison Garcia says:

Hi! I am so happy to hear that my story spoke to you. You can do this, it’s an amazing empowering feeling to gain back control. Back On Track is a wonderful plan that will help you achieve your goals. HUGS, Alison

7. badsal2368 says:

Hi my name is Betty,I got the Sleeve done in December of 2013.I never met my goal weight which was 145 instead I stayed at 170.my surgery weight was 275lbs now I’m at 218 I need to do something now!!!! Or else I’m gonna end up where I was or more.I have a lot of disabilities which keep me from doing a lot of things,but just the other day one of the admin. Gave me a great idea which I never thought of was to go to youtube and do some sitting exercise which I’m going to start a new life on Monday,and I bought a journal to right down how I feel that day and every thing I’m eating I hope and pray this works for me.I feel real positive so ladies lets get this going new journey for all of us lets get this going I just got my shakes today going grocery shopping tomorrow and I’m on my way to the 100’s bench my first goal for the Week is going to be 3 to 4 pounds I’m not gonna give myself huge goals cause I’ll just get Aggrivaited and that’s where I go down hill baby steps for this girl and if I lose more then it’ll be great I wish every single one of you good luck thanks to the administration for being there for us well ..good luck to all…xoxoxo??????????????

8. Mary says:

I was just wondering if the products interfere with Diabetes. Even after loosing 90 lbs. I did not lose my diabetes. I have gained back 40 and can’t afford to use something that would do me more harm than good.