No products in the cart.
This chicken is off the chain!
Bottled bbq sauce is not for people who have had obesity surgery! Two tablespoons of supermarket sauces can have 15 grams of sugar in just one tablespoon and no one uses one tablespoon. Too much sugar!
This sauce is so full of flavor you’ll make a double batch to keep in the fridge for summer. HOWEVER, to make this a fast sheet pan meal, there is a sugar free sauce available at WalMart with the brand name Hughes that is okay, but NOTHING like this homemade version. Just sayin…
SHEET PAN MEAL: Oven BBQ Chicken
Author: Susan Maria Leach, Before & After
- Four whole chicken leg thigh combos or use what you like, I roast the chicken with the skin to keep it from drying out, then remove it before sausing
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 2 medium sweet onions, one sliced, one diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup Heinz Reduced Sugar Ketchup
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- ½ cup Smuckers Sugar Free Grape preserves
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon vinegar - I use the vinegar from a jar of cherry peppers or banana peppers
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke - in the steak sauce hot sauce section of supermarket
- 1 tablespoon mustard, Dijon is best but use what you have
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ cup Splenda
- Arrange the chicken and the onion slices on a sheet pan
- Season with salt and pepper - slow roast at 375 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes until tender.
- Smear with the sauce, bake an additional 10 minutes.
- Make your sauce while chicken is roasting.
- Sauté the onions and garlic in olive oil over medium high heat until softened, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add ketchup, tomato sauce, preserves, lemon juice, vinegar, liquid smoke, mustard, chili powder, cumin, and Splenda.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer until rich and thick, 25 to 30 minutes.