Does your nose run when you eat?

I hiccup after I’ve been eating for a bit, does that happen to anyone else?

When I am almost finished with my meal, I sneeze. It happens every time! Is something wrong?

After my bariatric surgery my nose runs when I eat!

Runny nose, hiccups, sneezing … it’s your NEW alarm! You are not alone, it is very common, post weight loss surgery, to have one of these things happen while you are eating.

After surgery the Vagus Nerve, an important sensor that runs from your brain to your gut, is easily stimulated due to our altered anatomy. This nerve regulates digestion, detoxification, our “fight or flight” response, various aspects of heart rate and blood pressure and more. When it is stimulated you may have repetitive or single hiccups, sneezing, and or a runny nose.

LISTEN TO YOUR BODY as this is your new warning system telling you that you are getting really close to being full! Pay close attention to not over eat past this point.

This action is NOT a cue for you to take a break and then go back and finish. It means you are done.

I personally make a single hiccup when I am right about to be too full. It’s my signal to stop. This has happened at supper every night for sixteen years! What is your sign?

JOIN BARIATRIC EATING SUPPORT GROUP ON FACEBOOK

FAQ Main Page

14 thoughts on “FAQ: Does your nose run when you eat?

1. Maryanne says:

I get both the runny/stuffy nose and sneezing. Every time and I am 7 years post op.

I just thought I was wired wrong as the surgeon that did my surgery said he never heard of these symptoms. Thank you for posting.

• Debbie says:

omg I am so glad to hear this happening to other people, I thought something was wrong with me. I am 1 yr and 5 mos. out. I get a stuffy nose sometimes and I hiccup at least 1 time just about when I have had enough to eat, that is my sign that I’m done.

Has anyone had any issues with any of their eyes running. It seems ever since I had my surgery my left eye runs. I have been to 2 different doctors and no one can find out whats wrong with me.

2. Kristi says:

This actually started 12 years ago when I was pregnant with my son and never stopped. I was sleeved 18 months ago. I assume the pressure of my son on my stomach works the same way as the sleeve. I am short-waisted and he had little room to grow. Doctors were concerned that he could crack my ribs!

3. Irene Menchaca says:

Thank you, thank you it has been eleven years since my gastric bypass. I lost seventy-five pounds which have stayed off but now I am inspired to continue my journey to loose another forty pounds. Yes I sneeze at least ten times after I eat so now I understand it is an alarm.

4. Karen says:

Mine is the sneezing. My family thinks it’s funny so they say – I guess your done eating! I’m 10 + years out.

5. penny mcdaniel says:

Thank you!! I get the runny nose and no one else in my support circle had ever heard of it so I was feeling odd.

6. Candy Griswold says:

Since my surgery my nose is ultra sensitive to the point of burning inside. The smells that I use to love is all to strong and makes my nose super burn. Is this common with the surgery too and what can I do for it as it is like you have suck up water up your nose 24/7.

7. Derin says:

I too get a runny nose when eating but sometimes only after the first 2 or three bites! I never thought of it as a possible cue for fullness.

8. Judy Shrader says:

I have a runny nose as soon as I start eating. Very embarrassing when you are dining with others in a restaurant. I also get very loud hiccups at least five times a day. After breakfast every day I have a ten sneeze spell. I have never had the surgery, am overweight, have an eroded esophagus and a hiatal hernia. Could my problems be the Vagus nerve and what type Dr would I see? My Endo, GP and gastro all act like they have no idea what causes any of them.

9. Andrea says:

I too sneeze. I eat and three or four bites into it, I start sneezing. Then the runny nose. I feel like if I’m getting sick, that’s how miserable I feel when….so I stop eating. It’s so annoying. My daughter always says to me, “time to stop, mom.”