Christmas started late for us last year as we had just returned home from a memorable trip to Mexico. The beautiful holiday decorations, lights, magnificent Christmas trees, and unbelievable poinsettias that decorated the hotel got us in the Christmas spirit.
When we were getting ready to trim our own Christmas Palm tree, I decided that we needed some warm Christmas bar cookies to nibble with a mug of warm Inspire Dutch Chocolate Cake protein fixed as hot cocoa. Sure it was 75 degrees here in Florida, but holiday spirit isn’t about the temperature.
- Nonstick vegetable cooking spray
- ¾ cup butter
- ½ cup Truvia blend sugar replacer
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all purpose flour OR 1 cup flour plus 1 cup almond flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole hazelnuts or walnuts or almonds, coarsely chopped
- ¾ cup Smuckers Sugar Free Apricot Preserves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8 inch square pan with nonstick vegetable cooking spray.
- In a large bowl or food processor blend the butter, Truvia and cinnamon until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks and vanilla and blend until well combined. Add flour and salt and combine until just blended. Fold in the nuts with a wooden spoon until crumbly.
- Pat half of dough evenly onto bottom of prepared pan.
- Spread preserves over dough, leaving ½ inch border around edges.
- Using hands, crumble remaining dough on top of jam layer. Do not pack down or pat.
- Bake until golden, 35 to 45 minutes. Cool completely before cutting into 2 inch squares.