Cheddar Chicken & Broccoli Soup
Simple and delicious with flavors everyone will love. Even people who say they don’t like broccoli love this slightly smoky cheesy bowl of warm
- 3 slices bacon, diced
- 1 head fresh broccoli - stems peeled and chopped; florets separated and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- ½ teaspoon dried tarragon
- 6 cups canned chicken broth
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3 cups diced store-bought rotisserie chicken
- 1 cup grated low fat cheddar cheese (about 4 ounces)
- Cook the bacon in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat until crisp; removes pieces to a paper towel and set aside. Sauté broccoli stems and onion in bacon drippings until onion is translucent, 6 to 8 minutes. Add garlic and tarragon; sauté 1 minute. Stir in broth and bring to boil. Simmer uncovered until broccoli is tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in milk.
- Blend the butter with the flour in small bowl to make paste. Whisk the paste into the soup and add the broccoli florets and chicken. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 to 12 minutes, until soup thickens and florets are tender, stirring frequently. Just before serving stir in the cheddar and reserved bacon crisps; ladle into bowls.
Serving size: Serves 6