Chicken ala Vodka Sauce
This is yet another dish inspired by a jar of sauce. Mario Batali is my hero, and his bottled pasta sauces taste as if they are home cooked with no preservatives or chemicals or sugar. His Vodka Sauce is superb.
- Flour for dusting
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 1½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- One jar Mario Batali Vodka Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Garden Gourmet basil herb blend in a tube (produce section) or ¼ cup torn basil leaves
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- Measure ½ cup flour into a zip lock bag, season with 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon black pepper. Cut chicken in to 2 inch pieces, place in bag and toss to coat with flour mixture.
- Heat olive oil in Dutch oven and lightly brown chicken cubes over medium heat, removing to a bowl with a slotted spoon as finished. In same pan, saute mushrooms then sizzle pan with ¼ cup water (wine, broth, or marsala works even better) scraping up browned bits from bottom of pan. Add jar of sauce, stir in the basil, crushed red pepper flakes, and add the chicken along with all the juices in the bowl.
- Cover and simmer fifteen minutes.
Nutrition InformationServing size: Serves 4