Chocolate Peppermint Stick Cream Cheese Ball
This is both unexpected and delicious. Think of a creamy butter mint with chocolate bits. Really really good. Serve with a plate of sugar free Murray double-fudge chocolate or or butter cookies or open several packets of the small chocolate rings. A very low sugar option if you plan to serve at a an office or family party would be Famous chocolate wafers or Flora Chocolate Pizzelles. I originally thought this was solely a festive holiday dessert, but it is actually a perfect summer barbecue platter dessert!
- Two, 8-ounce packages Philadelphia reduced-fat cream cheese
- ½ cup Truvia for Baking or ¾ cup Splenda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- a drop of butter extract - optional
- ⅔ cup finely chopped 70% dark chocolate (or sugar free chocolate) - a 3 or 3.5 ounce bar
- ½ cup crushed/chopped red & white sugar-free peppermint candies or candy canes
- In a medium bowl combine the cream cheese, Truvia, vanilla peppermint & butter extracts, and chocolate. Line a small, deep, 2 cup bowl with plastic wrap. Transfer cream cheese mixture to prepared bowl, smooth and cover with plastic wrap and chill 4 hours or overnight. Unmold onto a decorative plate and remove wrap.
- Sprinkle the crushed candies over the surface. Your candies will dissolve and look wet if this dessert is made too far in advance, so it is best to coat the outside of the ball just before serving.
Serving size: Serves 12