Mushroom Herb Mini Meatloaves
Made with lean ground turkey breast or veal, this unique twist on meatloaf combines omega-3 rich walnuts, nutrient packed flax seed, and vitamin and mineral dense mushrooms with herbs, garlic and onions. I dislike disclosing the ingredients to dinner guests, as it skews expectations of taste; meaning no one thinks it will taste good because it is healthy. Please trust me in that this is a delicious meatloaf and you should not hesitate to try it. Serve with squash purée and steamed green beans for a simple and tasty supper.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup finely chopped mushrooms (about half of an 8 ounce package)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 pound lean veal or turkey
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat oil over medium high heat and sauté onions, garlic, and mushroom until vegetables are softened and no liquid remains, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer to large bowl.
- Stir in salt, pepper, thyme, flax seed, walnuts, and parsley and set aside to cool to room temperature, about 10 to 12 minutes. Add ground turkey and egg, mixing gently but thoroughly until well combined. Transfer to lightly greased muffin tins, dividing mixture into six of the cups. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Bake until cooked through, 30 to 40 minutes.
Serving size: Serves 6