A sneak preview recipe from the new South Beach Diet book was featured in this month’s Prevention magazine. So at 10pm last night, I rifled around in my kitchen and made a batch. They are spectacular – hard to believe they have five ingredients and are low calorie, have no sugar, and nearly no carbs.
I have a bag of Pecan Meal in my freezer procured on a trip to a Pecan Grove in Georgia last fall so instead of using Almond Meal, mine feature a touch of Southern Pecan goodness. You can choose any flavor of Jam you would like, I had half a jar of Smuckers Sugar Free Strawberry! So the South Beach Almond Jam Bars turned into Strawberry Jam Bars in my kitchen.
- 2 cups almond or pecan meal
- ⅓ cup Truvia or any type of sugar if you are simply looking to make a healthy cookie
- Big pinch of salt
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup sugar free preserves or puree
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Combine pecan meal, Truvia, salt, and egg white in food processor until mixture forms a soft dough. Transfer dough to lined baking sheet, divide in half, and shape each into a 7 by 2 inch long log about ½ inch high. With a moistened thumb make a ½ inch deep trench down the length of the log.
- Bake until dough is lightly golden and set, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove log from oven and spoon jam along the trench in the warm cookie bar. Cool on baking sheet for ten minutes before cutting crosswise on an angle into 25 bars, each ½ inch wide.