My husband is from Georgia and this was his request for Christmas dessert.
I have never made a sweet potato pie but used a Nick Malgieri recipe as a starting point – turning it into a no sugar added version. The simplicity truly brought out the richly caramelized flavor of the roasted organic Garnet Sweet Potatoes I bought at Whole Foods Market. This pie is amazing – wholesome cooking at its best! It can also served sans crust as a baked custard – poured into a glass 2 quart casserole set into a roasting pan, filled to half with hot water and baked until just set.
- 1¼ pounds sweet potatoes
- 2 eggs plus 2 yolks
- ⅔ cup Splenda, Whey Low, Truvia or combination
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 can evaporated milk
- Your favorite 9-inch pie crust - I use Pillsbury All Ready Pie Crusts as they are simple and fast
- Wash, arrange, and roast sweet potatoes on a foil lined baking sheet at 350 degrees for 45 to 60 minutes, until they are soft when pressed with fingers. Remove from oven and cool to handle.
- Peel sweet potatoes and puree in food processor until silky smooth. Add eggs, yolks, sweetener, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg and pulse to blend thoroughly. Scrape down processor and blend. Add evaporated milk, blend to incorporate via a few 5 second bursts, scrape down bowl and repeat.
- Pour into shell and bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 50 to 60 minutes, until set around edges but still a bit soft in center. Cool to room temperature and chill if desired. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.