Green Chili Cheese Puff
Serves: Makes nine 3x3 squares
A super easy and flavorful cheesy protein meal that works for breakfast, lunch, supper, or as a tapas style appetizer to serve with a glass of white wine! Melty cheddar and canned diced mild green chiles provide the winning flavor combination for a make ahead bariatric-friendly meal your entire family will love. Instead of mild green chiles, use diced ham or saut
- 8 large eggs
- ⅓ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup, small curd low fat cottage cheese
- 8 ounces reduced fat Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- One, 4-ounce can diced green chilies, drained
- 4 or 5 scallions, thinly sliced
- Beat eggs until light and lemon colored - using an electric hand mixer if desired. Add flour, baking powder, salt, a few grinds of black pepper and blend until smooth. Fold in the cottage cheese, cheese, butter and chilies.
- Pour mixture into 8 x 8 inch glass baking dish that has been sprayed with nonstick vegetable spray. Bake at 325 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes, until edges are slightly puffed and the very center of the puff still jiggles a bit when you move the baking dish. DO NOT OVERBAKE - for a moist cheesy texture, remove from oven when slightly underbaked as the heat will continue to cook it out of the oven.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before cutting into squares and serving with favorite salsa.