Roasted Italian Sausage and Peppers
If you have a local Italian grocery store, the sausage is usually lean, finely ground, and really flavorful. If you live in an area where Italian is foreign food, you can use Jimmy Dean Italian and roll into golf sized meat balls for the dish. Still fast, still delish. A really nice soft texture from the soft roasted peppers! If you have trouble with casings, slit the casings, remove the sausage and cook this as a one dish skillet where everything is in pieces!
- 1 pound good quality lean Italian Sausage - I buy mine from Josephs Market in Boca as its very lean with lots of fennel and cheese.
- 2 bell peppers, sliced - l happen to like green, but you may use red or yellow or one of each
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- Olive oil
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Preheat a skillet and heat olive oil. Saute the peppers, onion and garlic until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove to a bowl and brown the sausages on all sides, add sauteed peppers, cover, lower heat, and simmer until cooked though, 8 to 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Other times of the year, I will roast everything together in a 400 degree oven as a one roasting pan meal.