Serve this tender, fall-off-the-bone, juicy beef with sauteed Swiss chard or zucchini. It is very easy but the flavors are really deep and flavorful. Steak in the style of the Pizzamaker!
- 2½ pounds bone-in chuck steak, or 2 pounds if boneless
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red pepper cut into strips
- 1 green pepper cut into strips
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 small bunch fresh basil
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes, with juice
- Season steak with salt and pepper and heavily brown in olive oil on both side in a deep Dutch oven or covered skillet. Remove to platter and saute garlic and peppers in the pan until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add oregano, thyme, basil and pepper flakes and saute another minute before adding the tomatoes. Break up the tomatoes with a wooden spoon and add the browned meat back to the pot along with the juices from the platter. Cover, lower heat and simmer for 2 hours until tender and meat is falling apart.