There are different types of bariatric surgery and all kinds of program rules but it really boils down to just a few strong ground rules to follow that really apply to everyone – Lap Band, Sleeve or RNY. This isn’t rocket science, it’s just a new way of Life.
1. Do pack your food for the day in a cooler. That way, there’s no excuse for eating take out or fast food or skipping a meal.
2. Don’t give up on eating well if you don’t see huge results every week. This is a new way to live, not a diet or race with a beginning or an ending.
3. Do take your vitamins! It’s not that big a deal and there’s no excuse now that there are easy options.
4. Do drink tea! It’s loaded with antioxidants and if you drink green tea it’s even better for you.
5. Do eat your greens. After I eat my protein, I allow myself to fill up on green leafy vegetables and colorful salads.
6. Don’t cut out fruit entirely because of its natural sugars. Choose fruit with fewer carbs and therefore less sugar, such as strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries. The carbs are offset by lots of nutrients!
7. Do read ALL labels. Check for calories, fat, carbohydrates, sugar, and fiber because it matters. Also read the ingredient list; look for clean ingredients that you recognize. Ingredients should read like a recipe.
8. Don’t give into temptation at work. When co-workers are sharing birthday cake, you have other options. Remember, food is everywhere. You are strong enough chose something tasty that won’t move you away from goal!
9. Do follow a plan. Keep your meal plan on the fridge with a magnet or on your desktop at work. Early on, it’s a good idea to know exactly what to eat and what supplements to take in order to create a habit! Have a destination and a road for getting there.
10. Don’t frame your choices in the negative. If you catch yourself feeling sad thinking about what you CAN’T have, turn around your ‘stinkin thinkin’ to be positive about wonderful things that you CAN have.