Here are ten super protein ingredients to easily sneak into bariatric meals for that extra protein kick. A few grams here and there adds up. Good habits for a lifetime!
1. Almonds, 6 grams of protein in 1 ounce (25 almonds)
Add slivered or sliced almonds to vegetables sauteed with salt and pepper. Add Parmesan cheese for even more protein and flavor.
2. Chia Seeds, 11 grams of protein in 2 tablespoons
Add a tablespoon of these power seeds to four ounces of juice or sprinkle on salads or fruit & yogurt
3. Cottage Cheese 15 grams of protein in 1/2 cup
Go savory with scallions and radishes for a protein snack or use as a filling for a single egg omelet
4. Egg, 7 grams protein in one large egg
Add chopped or sliced hard cooked egg to salads or to top vegetables or poach an egg in pasta sauce for a light meal
5. Quinoa, 6 grams of protein in 1/4 cup
Add to sautéed or roasted vegetables to make a Mediterranean Vegetable Salad or take it a step further and add shrimp or beef
6. Beans, 5 grams of protein in 1/4 cup
Add beans to any salad, stew, or soup
7. Broccoli, 4 grams of protein in one cup
Add to a stir fry, use as a side dish, or make Crustless Broccoli Egg & Cheese Pie for a big vegetable protein boost
8. Edamame, 9 grams of protein in 1/2 cup
Make a salad with shelled edamame, a stir fry or use in soups or side dishes like this Edamame Succotash which is a stir fry of diced bacon edamame, corn, red pepper and red onion
9. Greek Yogurt 7 grams of protein in 1/4 cup
Use as a Vanilla Ginger Dipping Sauce for fruit or a savory sauce for chicken or vegetables or stir into soup or a beef stir fry for a creamy Beef Stroganoff
10. Parmesan or Romano Cheese 10 grams of protein 1 ounce
Add freshly grated cheese to top vegetables, soup, or salads but only a chunk of the real deal, Parmesan Regiano, Locatelli, or Romano will make a dish sing in Italian with lots of flavor as well as protein
BONUS: Most days with a busy schedule it’s just easier to pour 1/2 cup Almond Breeze Unsweetened Almond Milk into a glass, add a scoop of Inspire Dutch Chocolate Cake protein powder, stir with a spoon and go ‘Mmmmmmmm’ with that first sip.