Cherry Clafoutis, Baked Custard with Cherries
When your friends ask you what this is, you can tell them its just a little French dessert you threw together. Cherry Clafoutis (KLA-FOO-TEE) is a surprisingly easy to make and tasty combination of almond custard studded with a handful of dark sweet Bing cherries. The best part is that there is no crust, just a handful of ingredients you do just throw together on a summer evening. Eat this one on the porch. Yum.
- 12 ounces pitted cherries
- 3 large eggs
- ¼ cup Truvia or ⅔ cup Splenda granular
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- Pinch salt
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a round ceramic pie plate or baking dish and place dish on a baking sheet. Arrange the cherries in the dish. Combine the eggs, milk, vanilla, almond, salt and flour in the blender, pulsing to create a batter being careful not to over mix. Allow batter to rest 15 minutes. Pour over cherries. Bake 40 to 55 minutes until golden and puffed. Transfer to a rack to cool. Dust with confectioners sugar and serve warm. Serves 6.
Serving size: Serves 6