Why you are reading this
We all have good intentions but we both know you really don’t want to work out and are reading this because the headline says ’10 Minute Bariatric Workout’. It is a compromise in your head. You don’t WANT to work out but you MIGHT give this a try this since its just 10 minutes.
Listen to me. We cannot simply diet our way out of Morbid Obesity even with the power of our surgery. We can cruise for a while, often years, but it eventually catches up with us. Stop listening to the five year post ops saying you don’t have to eliminate food groups or those who boast they eat what they want and ‘that they must be doing something right because they’ve lost 125 pounds’. They have not hit a wall yet. Maybe it has caught up with you as it did me and that is why you are still reading.
The formula is simple: Eat Less, Move More. Yep, we have heard that before, but it is a fact of human physiology. We caught a break with surgery that allowed us to drop the bulk of the weight without really doing a lot, but it is different now and you know that.
Do it 12 times & you’ll see
The best workout? One you’ll actually follow 3 to 5 times per week. I am still the person who does an involuntary eyeroll when Facebook people post about 5k’s. I never wanted to work out, but it was either do it or give up and be fat again. My goal in working out is to find the least movement that will do the most for raising my metabolism. Boom!
These routines produce such fast results that even the biggest slugs will love Jumping Rope because of how it makes them feel. Give it 30 days paired with either Back on Track or BE Easy plan of protein drinks and healthy eating. It will work for you. Mind Blown. Pop. Happy.
Why jumping rope is cool for bariatric post ops
1. Investing in a $19.99 jump rope is cheaper than a $3485 treadmill. Click on Jump Rope Icon>>>
2. Floyd Mayweather looks badass jumping rope
3. You can do it any time and don’t have to leave your house
4. It is low impact – jumping rope is not hard on your knees
5. It will melt the fat right off ya!
Treadmill or Clothes Hanger?
We are all short on time, but must make the hard choice between 50 pounds and 10 minutes. This means a workout must be quick, fun, inexpensive, and portable. This is why I LOVE time saving High Intensity Interval Training or HIIT and I can jump rope right outside my door. Forget the treadmill/clothes hanger, this is way cooler!
Research shows HIIT is the most effective way to boost the metabolism and burn fat. I want to workout smarter, not harder, by combining everything I want to achieve into one short but intense, fat blasting workout. Fast/Slow, Fast/Slow, Fast/Slow, cranks up the heart rate and keeps fat burning for hours.
Oh Wow, this is EASY!
Do not make the mistake of going from zero to hero, or you’ll quickly get discouraged. It seems really easy until the next day, so go slow even if you are having fun and you WILL have fun.
If you have not jumped rope for years, the following tips are important:
1. Jump lightly on the balls of your feet, heels don’t touch – practice without the rope if you miss a lot
2. Don’t jump high. Practice jumping just an inch off the ground
3. Position your hands slightly above your waist and about 12 inches from your body
4. Use your wrists to twirl the rope. Don’t swing your arms and shoulders very much
5. Get into a rhythm by jumping to music – Van Halen’s JUMP makes me smile
6. Practice. Beginners should practice by swinging the rope with both handles in one hand and not jumping through it. This helps develop basic coordination.
7. THIS IS NOT EASY nor will you be smiling for the first few times – your heart will be ready to burst from your chest!
8. Even though 40 seconds sounds like nothing, you can NOT start there. First time, try for 20 seconds then REST for 40, for ten minutes total! Later you can flip those numbers
And now, the workout videos… drumroll
The following YouTube Playlist contains four videos. Two demonstrate beginners tips for jumping rope that are really helpful, One 4 Minute HIIT Tabata workout with Brad Gouthro (you can keep your shirt on… lol… and YES, this is a FOUR MINUTE WORKOUT!!!) and a 10 Minute real-time Liz Palmer 40 second HIGH/20 second REST workout.
I use the HIIT Stopwatch by Parabolic River for my workout timer – for iPhone, iPad or Droid… the free version works great. I use the ‘Tabata’ setting.