Broccoli & Swiss Frittata, perfect Bariatric Eating!
This dish should be the mainstay of a bariatric diet, a 'go to' dish to whip up on any weeknight, or a Saturday after a hectic day at the supermarket, any time we would normally reach for takeout or fast food. I make this dish for morning, noon and evening... I also love it with baby spinach subbed for broccoli. Heats beautifully in the microwave. Go easy on the cheese, you don't want to turn healthy into a fat bomb. Once you master the frittata, it's a twelve minute meal!
- 1 medium onion, cut in half, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 small broccoli crown, separated (or use leftover from supper)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated whole nutmeg
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 4 ounces shredded Swiss cheese - about one cup shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Beat the eggs with ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper, a few grates of fresh nutmeg, Parmesan and Swiss cheeses. Set aside.
- In a 10 inch medium nonstick skillet, over medium high heat, sauté the onion, garlic and broccoli in olive oil 4 to 6 minutes until broccoli is fork tender and onion begins to brown at edges. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the egg and cheese mixture into the hot skillet with the cooked onions and broccoli, lightly stir and arrange with fork; cook for 2 to 3 minutes until edges begin to bubble. Place into hot oven and cook for 6 to 8 minutes, until center is set. Loosen at edges and transfer to a large serving plate to cut into wedges. Serve room temp or cold.