Our number one question is ‘What can I eat after surgery?’
While I know they mean in their first week, truly the most perfect bariatric food for all post ops is this Egg Custard. My mother and grandmother made them and I always loved them, but they represent a delicious dish of cool vanilla creaminess that is soothing after a surgical procedure such as weight loss surgery.
They aren’t just for new post ops, they are for everyone… for life! Buy Pyrex custard cups at the grocery store or little white dishes called ramekins at Pier One for a dollar each. My colorful fancy pants custard cups are a gift from a friend who was grateful for this recipe when she had ulcers and was unable to eat other foods.
- 1 cup milk
- One 12 ounce can evaporated milk
- 4 large eggs
- ⅔ cup Splenda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Place 6 custard cups or ramekins in a large roasting pan and set aside.
- Combine the milk, evaporated milk, eggs, Splenda and vanilla in the blender and pulse 3 or 4 times until smooth.
- Pour into the custard cups and grate a generous amount of nutmeg over each one.
- Pour enough hot water in the roasting pan to come about halfway up the sides of the custards and bake 25 to 35 minutes, until just set in the center and are still a little jiggly. MAKE SURE YOUR CUSTARDS ARE SET BEFORE REMOVING FROM OVEN - oven temps and size of custard cups vary.
- Carefully remove the custards from the water bath, and transfer to towel to cool. Serve chilled.