No Sugar BBQ Sauce
Having friends for dinner and not a single bottle of BBQ Sauce on the shelf at Fresh Market had less than 8 grams of sugar per tablespoon and some had 15 grams. PLUS, who uses 1 tablespoon... we slather on 3 or 4 tablespoons on a piece of chicken. Not a good scenario. My homemade sauce is lower in sugar and competition level in flavor! It has a lot of ingredients, but it is fantastic! Better tasting and better for us... win win! This makes a whole bowl that can be in the fridge ready to sauce your ribs, chicken or shrimp. Yum.
Author: Susan Maria Leach for BariatricEating.com
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1½ cups low sugar ketchup
- 1½ cups tomato sauce
- ¼ cup vinegar
- ½ cup Truvia Brown sugar replacer or regular
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons brown mustard
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 5 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons Liquid Smoke
- Saute the onion and garlic in olive oil over medium high heat until golden brown and softened. Reduce heat to low and add ketchup, tomato sauce, vinegar, Truvia, lemon juice, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, chili powder, and Liquid Smoke; simmer 30 to 45 minutes, until mixture is thick and delicious.
- Sauce those ribs, burgers, and chicken!
Serving size: Makes 4 cups