I like mine Margarita style with mozzarella, tomatoes, shaved onion and basil - Ty likes his topped with diced pepperoni! Really delicious with the flavors of pizza.
Author: Susan Maria Leach for BariatricEating.com
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 Portobello mushrooms - stems removed and dark gills scraped using a spoon
- ¼ cup pasta sauce - use one without added sugar
- ½ cup freshly shredded mozzarella, provolone and/or Parmesan
- Sliced grape tomatoes
- Chopped basil leaves
- Sliced red onion - optional
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat broiler to 500 degrees.
- Sauté garlic in olive oil in a large skillet until golden. Remove garlic and set aside. Sauté mushroom caps in the garlic olive oil, smooth side down until lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Turn and cook until mushroom is softened and liquid has evaporated, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to sheet pan, dry with paper towel. Smear with pasta sauce, top with mozzarella, Parmesan, provolone, tomatoes, onion and basil. Season with salt, pepper and the reserved toasted garlic.
- Broil until cheese is melted, bubbling and golden, 3 to 4 minutes.