Holy moly, this is delicious! It has the pizza flavors I love and a nice chew. This recipe is right where healthy and delicious collide… try it!
I like mine Margarita style with mozzarella, tomatoes, shaved onion and basil - Ty likes his topped with diced pepperoni! Really delicious with the flavors of pizza.
Author: Susan Maria Leach for BariatricEating.com
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 Portobello mushrooms - stems removed and dark gills scraped clean using a spoon
- ¼ cup pasta sauce - use one without added sugar such as Gia Russa or Mario Batali
- ½ cup freshly shredded mozzarella, provolone and/or Parmesan
- Sliced grape tomatoes
- Fresh or dried oregano
- Sliced red onion - optional
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Chopped basil leaves
- Preheat broiler to 500 degrees.
- Sauté garlic in olive oil in a large skillet until golden. Remove garlic to plate and set aside. Sauté mushroom caps smooth side down in the garlic olive oil, until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Liquid will pool in the cap when almost done. Turn and cook until mushroom is softened and liquid has evaporated, 1 to 2 additional minutes. Transfer to sheet pan, dry with paper towel. Smear with pasta sauce, 'lightly' top with cheese combination, reserved toasted garlic, tomatoes and onion. Season with oregano, salt and pepper.
- Broil until cheese is melted, bubbling and golden, 3 to 4 minutes. Add chopped basil.