Chicken Crust Pizza #nocarbpizza #bariatricpizza
Round 2. My original idea was to keep it light, but after seeing our Facebook Support Group members creative toppings, I caved and made a Pepperoni Pie! WOW. The secret to this recipe is a Screaming Hot Preheated Oven... otherwise your chicken crust will steam and there will be lots of liquid and not a lot of browning. THIS RECIPE IS OFF THE CHAIN!
Author: Susan Maria Leach for BariatricEating.com
- One pound ground (raw) chicken breast - about 3 small boneless breasts, chopped in food processor
- ½ cup grated Parmesan
- 1 cup freshly shredded part skim mozzarella
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Dried oregano
- ½ cup prepared pasta sauce
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 or 5 basil leaves, rolled and sliced
- Toppings - lets not go crazy with fat - I used Molinari very lean pepperoni in paper thin slices
- Preheat oven to 450°F and line a baking sheet or pizza pan with parchment paper or foil sprayed with non stick vegetable cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl combine the ground chicken with ¼ cup parmesan, ¼ cup mozzarella, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper, ½ teaspoon garlic powder and ½ teaspoon oregano.
- Mound the chicken mixture onto the parchment and pat into flat rectangle or disc. Cover with plastic wrap and evenly press or roll the chicken into a 7x10" rectangle or round. I use a rolling pin! Remove the plastic wrap and roast until golden, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Smear crust with sauce, scatter with ¼ cup Parmesan, ¾ cup mozzarella, layer with toppings and season with a sprinkle of crushed red pepper flakes and ¼ teaspoon oregano.
- Pop back into hot oven and cook until melted and bubbly 6 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven and scatter with chopped basil.