This recipe is for two complementary dishes made in real time, meaning the steps for both steak and side are listed in order as I make them. Put this restaurant quality meal on the table in 25 minutes. The steak is pan seared and super juicy with a balsamic glaze and the ‘rice’ is cauliflower! I love the zing of the pomegranate sprinkle but they are optional if you don’t spy a giant stack at your grocery store this week!
Sliced Steak & Cheesy 'Rice' - Learn to cook fresh food!
Author: Susan Maria Leach, Before & After
- 12 ounces beef sirloin, about 1½ inches thick is ideal
- Olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ head cauliflower flowerettes, don't bother with the prepackaged stuff, just grab a knife
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- ½ cup Fage Greek Yogurt - a single serve container is 6 ounces, use this
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Never begin with a cold steak: the outer portions overcook by the time the center comes up to the right temperature. Instead, remove the meat from the refrigerator, season it with salt and pepper, and let it sit at room temperature while you are making the Cheesy ‘Rice’.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Sautè the garlic in the olive oil in a large skillet or wok until golden brown. Add the cauliflower, salt and pepper and toss for 4 to 5 minutes until well combined and 'rice' begins to soften. Remove from heat, add the thyme, half the Parmesan, and fold in the Greek yogurt. Transfer to a casserole dish, top with remaining Parmesan and bake 10 to 12 minutes, until top is golden.
- Cook your steak while your Cheesy 'Rice' bakes. Pour a teaspoon of olive oil in a hot non stick skillet, place the steak in the center and sear it well - 4 minutes on the first side, flip and 4 minutes on the other side. Add 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar to the pan and baste the meat continuously until liquids reduce slightly. Remove steak to a plate and allow it to rest for 6 to 8 minutes; this will allow the juices to redistribute for a juicier steak.
- To serve, place on a board and cut into ¼ inch thick slices. Fan on a plate add a big scoop of Cheesy ‘Rice’ and spoon a little of the balsamic pan drippings over the top. For crunch and a sweet tart zing, scatter each plate with a few pomegranate arils.