Why can’t I use a straw? Does anyone use a straw?

Bariatric Straws

The straw debate is nuts but we get it. It creates almost as much passion and drama as the ‘which surgery is best’ debate, 😉

We have all used a straw in life so let’s talk our way thought this. A straw is a column that you draw liquid through before swallowing. That column is filled with air before you suck up and replace the air with liquid. IF you swallow that air, it can fill your pouch and intestines and be quite uncomfortable. BELCH… burrrrp… belch… burrrrrrrrrp… burp! That is the AIR you have swallowed.

Next time, suck through the straw and THINK while you are doing it. Swallow the liquid and not the air. If somehow you can’t manage this maneuver and the belching doesn’t stop… DON’T USE A STRAW. If you can drink through a straw without GULPING air with your liquid and belching, it’s fine to use one.

Doctors say ‘no straws’ because they can’t judge your sucking skills by looking at you and err on side of caution.

SHOP INSPIRE

JOIN BARIATRIC EATING SUPPORT GROUP ON FACEBOOK

CLICK HERE TO GET BACK ON TRACK JOIN NO MORE BARIATRIC REGAIN SUPPORT GROUP ON FACEBOOK No Regain Inspire

18 thoughts on “FAQ: Why can’t I use a straw? Does anyone use a straw?

• Betsy says:

I don’t recall the before reason bc my nut said it was OK for me to drink prior to eating since liquid goes through the sleeve fairly quickly. But the after is for two reasons, as I understand it: 1. Your stomach/pouch will be full of food and adding liquid to it will be very uncomfortable and probably ultimately lead to stretching or other stuff and 2. The nutrient dense meal that you just ate needs to be digested and those nutrients/vitamins absorbed, and drinking right away rushes that process and lessens the good stuff that you are feeding your body.

I am clearly not a nutritionist and these are my words and my understanding. I am 6 years out and while there are many rules I have broken, one that I NEVER stray from is waiting for at least 30 minutes after eating before I drink anything. Even if my meal is a protein shake. I want that stuff to sit in my stomach as long as possible.

Hope this helps.

1. Dianne says:

Folks, soda is just plain bad for you! It is filled with sugar or artificial sweeteners. They both cause isaline reactions. Plus all the artificial junk in it. There are studies out there that indicate a correlation between soda and pantriatic cancer. It’s almost as bad for you as cigarettes ! Why on earth would anyone drink that junk?

2. Antionette says:

I have uses a straw off and on for the blast 16 years. (surg date, 9/15/2000), and never had a problem. I’ve learned to not suck down the air in the straw, much better.
    I DO NOT drink any kind of soda, bad Stuff.
    I drink a glass of water about 10-15 minutes before eating, makes me full and don’t want as much and I wait at least 30 minutes after a meal to drink
    16 years post, 140# lost forever!!

3. Rose says:

I use a straw, its the only way I can stick to small sips. I take 2-3 small sips after meals so I don’t feel so bloated. No carbonation whatsoever and don’t miss it. Mio liquid water enhancers get me through the water tasting blues. 6 weeks out.

4. Inga says:

I am 5 days post gastric sleeve….I can’t sip anything without becoming EXTREMELY nauseous. Is thins NORMAL? How long will it last?

• Vicky says:

Inga, I too have serious nausea… Sleeved on November 16, 2015 I still get nauseated I am permanently on Zofran I take one in the morning and it gets me through the day although sometimes I have to take another later in the evening.

5. Patti says:

I use a straw without any problems. I don’t like drinking plain water so I use the diet tea mixes from Wal-Mart. I had my surgery done Jan. 29th, 2015 and I have had a diet drink in over 3 years. I think it is to each persons choice and liking on using straws. When in doubt then don’t as each of us is different.

6. Nathalie L'Elie says:

I completely disagree 2 years out have no issues. There are plenty of WLS patients that use the straw no issues.