Dinner on a stick is as fun as it is delicious. I love fajitas, but in a restaurant they can be an expensive meal.
A pound of shrimp, a bell pepper, a couple slices of bacon and some simple salsa ingredients are under $10. When was the last time you had such a nice meal for four people for that little?
My dinner on a stick is a tasty Fajitas with a Creamy Mexican Salsa.
This is the perfect recipe for a family bbq and the sauce is out of this world. The secret is that the creamy sauce makes it all so easy for a post op to eat!
- For the Shrimp Skewers:
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Olive Oil
- A packet of Fajita Seasoning
- 2 slices bacon, cooked until just barely crisp and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 Green Bell Pepper cut into 1 inch pieces
- Cherry Tomatoes
- For the Creamy Salsa:
- 1 small can Tomatillos, found near the jars of salsa and canned chilies
- 1 small bunch fresh cilantro
- 1 medium avocado
- ½ medium white onion, roughly chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 to 6 ounces Plain Greek Yogurt, one of the single serving sizes is perfect
- In a large bowl drizzle the shrimp with 1 tablespoon olive oil and sprinkle about ½ of the packet of seasoning. Stir to coat. If using metal skewers, spray well with cooking spray. Thread the shrimp, bacon, peppers and tomatoes on the skewers - set aside on a platter.
- For the sauce, puree the tomatillos, cilantro, avocado, onion, lime juice and salt. Add the yogurt and process again until smooth and creamy. Chill while you cook the shrimp skewers.
- Grill until shrimp are bright pink and just cooked through. Remove to a plate and serve with the salsa on the side