Dinner on a stick is as fun as it is delicious. I love fajitas, but in a restaurant they can be an expensive meal.
A pound of protein – shrimp, chicken, pork tenderloin, or beef, a pepper, a couple slices of bacon and some simple salsa ingredients are under $15 at most stores. When was the last time you bought such a nice meal for 4 people for that little?
My dinner on a stick is a tasty Fajitas with a Creamy Mexican Salsa. Susan Maria’s dinner on a stick is charred marinated pork fajita with tender summer vegetables – zucchini, yellow squash, red onion, portobello mushroom, mmmmm. We’ve also featured a fajita chicken and vegetable skewer, yum!
One recipe for four different dinners! Perfect. And the sauce is out of this world and makes it all so easy to eat!
- For the Shrimp Skewers:
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 slices bacon, cooked until just barely crisp and chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1 Pepper, Green Bell Pepper or Poblano, cleaned and chopped into 1 inch pieces
- Cherry Tomatoes, washed and patted dry
- ½ packet Fajita Seasoning
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- For the Salsa:
- 1 can Tomatillos, found near the Salsa and canned chilies
- 1 small bunch Cilantro
- 1 medium Avocado
- ½ medium white onion, roughly chopped
- Juice from ½ Lime
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 6oz Plain Greek Yogurt, one of the single serving sizes is perfect
- Jalapeño pepper, cleaned and diced.
- Shredded Cheese
- In a food processor add the onion, tomatillos, cilantro, avocado, lime juice salt and if using the pepper.
- Chop until well blended, then add the yogurt and process again until only slightly chunky If you would like it smoother add water in 1 tablespoon amounts until it's the thickness you desire.
- Set aside in the fridge while you prep the shrimp.
- In a large bowl drizzle the oil on the shrimp and sprinkle ½ the packet of seasoning. Stir well to coat all shrimp.
- If using metal skewers, spray well with cooking spray.
- Thread the pepper, bacon shrimp and tomatoes.
- Grill until shrimp are solid in color anåd bright pink.
- Remove from the skewer and serve with the salsa on the side