Easy to make, inexpensive yet feeds a family, delicious smoked sausage, tender vegetables with a hit of sharp cheddar and tons of flavor.
Make one of these and eat either serve it to the family with a big bowl of salad or eat it in small wedges for several meals. In Italian, this is called a FRITTATA but in Bariatric Eating we call it a pie! Mangia and enjoy.
Smoked Sausage, Broccoli & Cheddar Pie
Author: Susan Maria Leach, Before & After
- 1 cup diced smoked sausage
- Small red pepper, peeled seeded, sliced ¼ inch strips
- ½ medium onion, sliced into ¼ inch strips
- 1 cup broccoli florets - raw or cooked
- 6 eggs
- ½ cup milk - anything you have in the fridge
- 1 teaspoon Coleman's dry mustard or 1½ teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup finely shredded cheddar
- Sauté the smoked sausage in a non stick skillet over medium high heat for 90 seconds to render a bit of the fat, add the red pepper, onion, broccoli and stir fry until vegetables are fork tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove pan from heat to cool.
- Coat a deep dish pie plate with non stick vegetable spray and preheat oven to 325 *.
- Prepare a custard by beating the eggs with the milk, mustard, salt, pepper, and cheddar. Stir in the sautéed vegetables and pour mixture into prepared pan.
- Bake until sides are golden and puffed but the center still jiggles slightly, 35 to 45 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature. Reheats beautifully in a microwave.