Delicious and simple to make. A soup recipe designed for bariatric surgery recipients, but tasty enough for the entire family! You'll get hugs from everyone and feel great about it because it's a healthy option for everyone!
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 pound lean ground beef or turkey
- 1 jar salsa - 8 to 10 ounces - literally any brand you like
- One, 25 ounce can diced tomatoes - fire roasted is best
- 1 packet taco seasoning mix
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can kidney beans
- One 10 ounce package frozen mixed vegetables
- 3 to 4 cups chicken stock, pick up a 32 ounce 'box'
- Juice of one lime - about 2 tablespoons
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot and saute the onion, garlic, and red pepper for 6 to 8 minutes until softened and lightly browned.
- Add the meat and cook until well browned. Add the salsa, tomatoes, taco seasoning, beans and vegetables. Add enough chicken broth for soup consistency.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes. Just before serving add lime juice.
I do not use premade Taco Seasoning Packet as I have all the spices in my kitchen. If you don't, a packet is best way to go. If you have good spice rack use: 2T chili powder, 2T smoked paprika, 1t cumin, 1t sea salt, 1t black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon oregano