A member of our BariatricEating Support Group on Facebook asked if we could create a bariatric friendly version of an Amish broccoli carrot salad she loved that is traditionally made with a sweet tangy mayo sour cream dressing. Admin Alison MeachamGarcia took on the task and came up with a lighter yet delicious salad that she was excited to feature in one of her Small Plate Meals. The dish is crisp, bright, sweet and snappy. It works with deli roast beef and cheddar. Mmmmmm.
- 3 cups broccoli flowerettes, lightly steamed or roasted and cooled
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 1 Gala apple, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup Fage Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons Hellmanns mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Splenda granulated
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Lots of freshly ground black pepper
- Toss the broccoli, onion, carrot, apple and pecans.
- Blend the yogurt, mayonnaise, lemon juice, Splenda, salt and black pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and mix using two large spoons until lightly coated.
- Serve chilled.