My original version kept it light and topped with veggies since its a meat crust, but this time I caved and made a pepperoni pie!
Boars Head stick pepperoni is very lean. Do not use turkey pepperoni, it's junky and full of fat. Eat good pepperoni!
The secret to this recipe is a Screaming Hot Preheated Oven, otherwise your chicken crust will steam and there will be lots of liquid and not a lot of browning.
THIS RECIPE IS OFF THE CHAIN! All the flavors of a pizza on a thin crust of seasoned ground chicken. Genius.
- One pound ground, raw chicken breast - about 3 small boneless breasts, chopped in food processor or by hand
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 cup freshly shredded part skim mozzarella, about 4 ounces
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Dried oregano
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup prepared pasta sauce
- Toppings - lets not go crazy with fat - I used Boars Head very lean pepperoni in paper thin slices
- Shredded fresh basil
Preheat oven to 450°F and line a baking sheet or pizza pan with parchment paper or foil sprayed with non stick vegetable cooking spray.
In a medium bowl combine the ground chicken with 1/4 cup parmesan, 1/4 cup mozzarella, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon oregano and a big pinch of crushed red pepper.
Mound the chicken mixture onto the parchment cover with plastic wrap and pat into a flat rectangle or disc. I use a rolling pin!
Remove the plastic wrap and roast the chicken crust until golden, 12 to 15 minutes.
Smear crust with sauce, scatter with 1/4 cup Parmesan, 3/4 cup mozzarella, layer with toppings and season with a sprinkle of crushed red pepper flakes and 1/4 teaspoon oregano.
Pop back into hot oven and cook until melted and bubbly 6 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven and scatter with chopped basil.