Hot dogs are my guilty pleasure - everyone loves a good chili dog!
The flavors of a chili dog on a plate! Make sure and buy the better quality Kosher ones - Nathan's or Hebrew National are excellent - since you are covering them in chili and cheese. Ditto for the ground beef - since its 1/2 pound get the super lean ground sirloin. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, GO EASY ON THE CHEESE - use a microplane and a little goes a very long way.
- 1/2 pound ground sirloin - go super lean here
- 1 can Bush’s Chili Beans
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 12 ounce package of Hebrew National Low Fat All Beef franks, sliced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 cup finely shredded cheddar
- Make the chili by combining the ground beef with the chili beans, tomato sauce and chili powder in a medium saucepan over medium heat until velvety soft and tender.
- Lower heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Drain off as much of the fat as possible.
- Cut and arrange hot dogs in individual baking cups or a baking dish - cover with chili, scatter with minced onion and top with cheese.
- Bake in preheated 400 F oven or toaster oven until hot and bubbling, 15 to 20 minutes.