A classic beef stew, slow-cooked with the mellowness of paprika.
Super tender... you can mash the beef cubes with a fork. Perfect for bariatric eating. I serve with a side dish of pan-roasted parsnips & carrots - boil peeled vegetables until tender and finish to golden in olive oil salt and pepper. Delicious.
- One 3 pound boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 1 ½ inch cubes
- ? cup sweet paprika - buy fresh for this dish
- One 12 ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 teaspoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 large onions, diced
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- ¼ cup sour cream
- Process paprika, roasted peppers, tomato paste, and vinegar in food processor until smooth and creamy.
- Cook onions with 2 teaspoons salt in vegetable oil in large Dutch oven over medium high heat; stirring occasionally, until onions soften, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in paprika mixture, add bay leaf and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes.
- Add beef and stir until well coated.
- Scrape down sides of pot, cover and adjust heat to low simmer.
- Cook until meat is almost tender, 2 to 2 1/2 hours, stirring every 30 minutes.
- Add beef broth and continue to cook until fork slips easily in and out of beef, about 30 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat, skim fat from surface; remove bay leaf, adjust seasonings with salt and pepper, serve hot.
- Serve with dollop of sour cream.