I traveled to Salt Lake City for a meeting last week and had some soup from Caputo's Italian Deli that was so delicious that I had to recreate it at home.
This is it. Really Easy and Delicious! Tastes just like cheesy meatball parm but in a soup. Mmmmmm.
I took a shortcut by using Aidell's Carmelized Onion Chicken Meatballs and they were perfect for the dish. 15 Minutes to the table but tastes like it has been simmering for hours. Try it!
- 1 medium onion, cut into small dice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small green bell pepper, cut into small dice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- One 26 ounce can crushed fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth or 1 chicken cube with 8 ounces water
- One 15 ounce can cannelini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- One package Aidell's Carmelized Onion Meatballs, with meatballs halved or quartered
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan or pecorino Romano cheese - with additional for serving
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- In a medium heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, saute the onion, garlic and bell pepper in olive oil until softened and translucent, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, broth, beans, basil, oregano, black pepper and meatballs.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer over low for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat - stir in the cheese and milk - serve with additional sprinkle of cheese.