Susan Maria Leach
A soup pot full of Mexican Taco Goodness that's so simple you can make it on a weeknight for family supper! You'll get hugs from everyone and feel good about it because it's so much better for them than take out. This is great soup and so healthy.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 pound lean ground beef or turkey
- 1 jar salsa - 8 to 10 ounces - literally any brand you like
- One, 25 ounce can diced tomatoes - fire roasted is best
- 1 packet taco seasoning mix
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can kidney beans
- One 10 ounce package frozen mixed vegetables
- 3 to 4 cups chicken stock, pick up a 32 ounce 'box'
- Juice of one lime - about 2 tablespoons
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot and saute the onion, garlic, and red pepper for 6 to 8 minutes until softened and lightly browned.
- Add the meat and cook until well browned. Add the salsa, tomatoes, taco seasoning, beans and vegetables. Add enough chicken broth for soup consistency.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes. Just before serving add lime juice.
I do not use premade Taco Seasoning Packet as I have all the spices in my kitchen. If you don't, a packet is best way to go. If you have good spice rack use:
2T chili powder, 2T smoked paprika, 1t cumin, 1t sea salt, 1t black pepper, ½ teaspoon oregano