If you have just had bariatric surgery and don't know WHAT to do about Thanksgiving or if you will be having your surgery just before Christmas and are already fearful of how you will handle the day. RELAX... you're covered!
We know that many of our Facebook Support Group members schedule surgery at end of the year to use up health savings accounts and take advantage of insurance deductibles. Then one day wake up and think 'What am I going to do about Thanksgiving and Christmas?' No worries. This is not our first rodeo... it is my twentieth! Sit in my kitchen and let me show you some very simple foods you can eat that are so tasty, everyone will want what you're having.
Bariatric Soft Food Menu for Thanksgiving or Christmas
Warm Cranberry Sipper ‘Mocktails’
- Simmer 4 cups Ocean Spray Diet Cranberry with 2 star anise and 1 cinnamon stick for 15 minutes - do not boil.
- Strain into four small mugs and garnish with orange slice.
- You can also warm all ingredients gently in a Crock-Pot set to low. It will take several hours for it to warm through and the spices to blend.
- The aroma of this simmering pot is wonderful. Sipping this drink will keep your hands and your mouth busy.
- It is truly delicious and you may want to double or triple the recipe as others will want to sip along with you!
Appetizer - Southwest Bean Dip
- In food processor pulse 1 can drained pinto beans, 1/3 cup good quality roasted type mild salsa, and 1/4 cup cilantro, until some texture remains. Pour into baking dish and stir in or top with in 1/2 cup (2 ounces) finely shredded Mexican cheese blend.
- Bake in 350 degree oven until bubbling, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Serve in small dish to eat with spoon.
- Go easy on the cheese, follow the recipe!
Main Course - Soft Turkey Gravy & Maple Sweet Potato Silk
- Prepare Knorr Turkey gravy mix according to package directions, using chicken broth in place of water. (add 2 tablespoons Marsala if desired) Remove a chunk of skinless breast the size of the palm of your hand from the cooked turkey, slice, line up and dice then finely chop.
- Blend with 2 tablespoons of hot gravy in small bowl.
Maple Sweet Potato Silk
- Roast sweet potatoes (choose ones fairly similar in size) on a sheet pan in 400 degree oven for about 1 hour or until soft when squeezed.
- Allow to cool slightly, slit with a sharp knife to easily peel and add to a bowl with 1 tablespoon butter and 2 tablespoons Mrs. Butterworth's sugar free maple syrup per every two sweet potatoes you use.
- Mash with large whisk, then beat until silky smooth. Reheat in small pot before serving.
- Plate Soft Turkey Gravy & Maple Sweet Potato Silk on a small plate, use a spoonful of Smucker's Sugar Free Cherry or Raspberry preserves in place of cranberry sauce.
- Have a Happy Holiday... be thankful. Gratitude is an attitude.
Dessert - Pumpkin Whip
- Our ‘no bake no cook’ fluffy sugar free spiced pumpkin bowl of goodness
- In a large bowl, using a hand mixer or wire whisk, whip One 15 ounce can of Libby's Pure Pumpkin, 1 cup milk, one 4 serving package Jell-O Sugar Free Butterscotch pudding mix, and 1 teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice until smooth, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Fold in about two-thirds of an 8 ounce container of Cool Whip.
- At this time, taste and see if you would like a little more pumpkin pie spice. I like mine light.
- Chill 2 hours before serving in small 1/2 cup dishes with a squirt of whipped cream or some of the reserved Cool Whip.