Even those who say they don't like spinach, LOVE THIS DISH. This stuff is lick the plate good. Carbs are fine if they are the vegetable kind. Use bites of this delicious dish to moisten your bites of ham: a trick of bariatric eating.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large shallots minced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 1/2 cups low fat milk
- 1/4 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1 teaspoon Better Than Bouillon
- 2 (10-ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed, squeezed and drained
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan sauté the shallots in the olive oil until softened and translucent, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle in the flour and stirring constantly, cook until absorbed into the oil, 30 to 45 seconds. Slowly whisk in the milk and evaporated milk and cook, scraping any of the residual cooked flour from the bottom of the pan.
- Stir in the chicken base, bring to a simmer and cook until thickened, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Add the spinach and simmer until tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Remove from heat and stir in the Parmesan.