An impressive and delicious Turkey for a smaller Holiday Gathering!
- One 2 ½ to 3 pound boneless turkey breast half, butterflied (have a meatcutter remove the bones and butterfly - ask him for some butchers string!)
- Olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Bell’s Seasoning, or your favorite prepared poultry blend
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, peeled and very thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley, optional
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- With the skin side down, lightly coat the meat with olive oil, then sprinkle generously with Bell’s Seasoning, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Sauté half of the apples and onions in butter in a non stick skillet until softened, 3 to 4 minutes - season with salt and pepper. Add parsley.
- Spoon apple onion mixture down center of seasoned flattened turkey and fold up both sides, so the filling is encased in the center of meat. Tie with cotton kitchen string in several places.
- Create a bed of remaining apples and onions in roasting pan and place the roast seam side down.
- Lightly drizzle the turkey with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast until a meat thermometer inserted into the center of the meat reads 155°F, about 1 hour.
- Remove the roast from the pan to a platter.
- Mash the onion and apple into the pan juices using a fork, adding enough chicken broth to scrape up the bits, creating a moist and delicious sauce for the sliced turkey.