Orange Chicken is a Chinese Restaurant Favorite that does not work after bariatric surgery as its both deep fried and loaded with sugar.
- ½ cup Smucker's Sugar Free Orange Preserves (now that's unexpected!)
- Zest and juice of one large orange (about ? cup juice)
- ¼ cup chicken broth (Swanson Natural Goodness is best)
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha or ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound boneless, skinless, chicken breasts, thinly sliced and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon peanut or vegetable oil
Whisk together the preserves, orange zest & juice, broth, vinegar, soy sauce, garlic and Sriracha in a small bowl and set aside.
Heat the peanut oil in a non stick skillet or wok. Season the chicken with salt and black pepper and toss with the cornstarch. Stir fry until browned and nearly cooked through. Add the orange sauce and stir to combine scraping up the browned bits from pan bottom. Let the sauce come to a boil, and cook for until thickened, 60 to 90 seconds.
Serve with fresh broccoli - cut off florets and steam in 1 inch water with ½ teaspoon salt in covered pot until tender when stem is poked with sharp knife tip. Drain very well on paper towels.Toss with the chicken and sauce.