Orange Chicken is a Chinese Restaurant Favorite that does not work after bariatric surgery as its both deep fried and loaded with sugar.
My ‘Skinny’ Orange Chicken has the flavors of the original, cooked in a way that makes it a both a great food choice and easy to eat. This no sugar and snappy sauced dish has amazing flavor from an unexpected ingredient – Smucker’s Sugar Free Orange Preserves – that adds orange flavor, sweetness, and honey like thickness! If you cannot find the sugar free orange, use sugar free apricot instead and the orange zest will ‘orange it up’.
- ½ cup Smucker's Sugar Free Orange Preserves (now that's unexpected!)
- Zest and juice of one large orange (about 1/4 cup juice but best to just buy an orange)
- ¼ cup chicken broth (Swanson Natural Goodness is best)
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha or ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound boneless, skinless, chicken breasts, thinly sliced crosswise and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons peanut or vegetable oil